2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2018 2:08 AM by fdumont

MSX1012B MSX6012F

fdumont

Hi,

I have two switches that i'am very pleased with. An MSX1012B-2BFS and an MSX6012F-1BRS_WT (as shown in web console).

I have to put one switch on a site and the other on an other site : 6 kilometers between sites.

So i want to install on each switch an MC2210511-LR4 module.

The optical fiber between the sites have been tested.

My questions are:

1. Will this optical QSFP+ module (40GbE) work on each switch ? If so, on what port ? Or any port will be OK ?

2. What does mean the '' WT '' letters on the MSX6012 model ?  (Wide Transceiver ??) If so, does that mean that i need to buy an another MSX6012F_WT ? Or the MSX1012B will also work fine ?

3. Actually, my MSX6012F is in VPI profil mode. Do i need to put it in single_ethernet mode ? (i don't do infiniband on the network for now, but it is envisaged).

4. As our needs are evolving, and my two switches already have almost all their ports in use, I plan to buy two MSX6036F to replace the MSX1012B and MSX6012F. Will both MC2210511-LR4 modules will work and, if so, on which ports?

Many thanks for your help !

Regards.

• Re: MSX1012B MSX6012F
          marlon

Hi

To answer the below:

1. Will this optical QSFP+ module (40GbE) work on each switch ? If so, on what port ? Or any port will be OK ?

Ans.  It will work on all ports.

2. What does mean the '' WT '' letters on the MSX6012 model ?  (Wide Transceiver ??) If so, does that mean that i need to buy an another MSX6012F_WT ? Or the MSX1012B will also work fine ?

Ans.  MSX6012 if by default an infiniband switch and MSX1012 is by default an ethernet switch.  If you have an ethernet license (which can be purchased from Mellanox) installed on the MSX6012 switch, and the profile is now ethernet, the modules should work with both switches.

3. Actually, my MSX6012F is in VPI profil mode. Do i need to put it in single_ethernet mode ? (i don't do infiniband on the network for now, but it is envisaged).

Ans.  I would suggest to change is to single_ethernet mode.

4. As our needs are evolving, and my two switches already have almost all their ports in use, I plan to buy two MSX6036F to replace the MSX1012B and MSX6012F. Will both MC2210511-LR4 modules will work and, if so, on which ports?

Ans.  It will work on ports 1,3,33,&35.