I want to use DHCP to manage the IPoIB IP numbers in our IB network. Managing static IPs gets to cumbersom. Ideally I want to run DHCP on the main IB switch SB7700 Mlnx-os 3.6.4006. So the questions are
- How do I run DHCP for IPoIB on an SB7700. Do I need a VM/Docker or can it run on the native OS?
- How do I configure the DHCP server and the VM/docker image to run over IPoIB?
- are there any special considerations regarding the client configuration? i.e. what is different to a plain eth interface?
I know this document
HowTo Enable DHCP Service Over Docker Container (MLNX-O
But it seems to mention ETH switches only and a comment tells that docker support will be removed in future MLNX-OS versions.
Thank you, any help is welcome.
The flow should be something along the lines of:
1. configure an ip address on ib0 of the switch
switch(config)# interface ib0 ip address x.x.x.x/y
2. docker pull <your dist of choice>
3. start a container with the network privilege (so you can listen/send on the ib0 interface)
4. in the docker install a dhcp server ,configure it
5. start the dhcp server