11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2017 11:07 PM by inbusiness

iSER for ESXi 6.5 No target detected, no traffic sent.

galbitz@albitz.biz

Hello,

I have seen other reports of no targets being detected. I have esxi 6.5 host running the new iser driver, the adapter firmware is up to date (dual port connectx-4 vpi card in eth mode).

I can ping from the mellanox card to the esxi host. When i configure a target no devices are detected.

I loaded the newest mellanox on my linux target and followed the following guide: How-To Dump RDMA traffic Using the Inbox tcpdump tool (ConnectX-4)

How-To Dump RDMA traffic Using the Inbox tcpdump tool (ConnectX-4)

When i run a packet capture and rescan the iser adapter i see no traffic generated and sent to the linux target server. I logged just 2 cdp packets unrelated to the adapter refresh.

I have the esxi server directly connected into the linux server, so there is no switch currently and thus not alot of other traffic on this interface, but surely i should see the esxi server attempt to discover the targets?

the only thing i noticed was that the path is listed as not used, but i believe this is because there is no target detected:

should iser target port be something different than 3260?

• Re: iSER for ESXi 6.5 No target detected, no traffic sent.
          inbusiness

Unfortunately, iSER 1.0.0.1 isn't beta level.

It's a alpha level quality.

photo_2017-09-23_04-34-25.jpg

Only 1st port can connect to iSER target.

photo_2017-09-24_01-15-35.jpg

And Software iSCSI initiator must be add to ESXi 6.5U1 host.

If you don't do it, iSER initiator can't connect to iSER target.

At last, whenever host reboot, iSER initiator disappeared.

You must excute esxcli rdma iser add command to host then rescan HBA adapter everytime.

We are not a beta tester.

We are not a QC employee on Mellanox or VMware,too.

If iSER will be a dominate RDMA storage protocol, It must be add a iSER eanble option to VMware software iSCSI initiator.

Not a funky CLI command.

PFC options and iSER initiator add to ESXi then Host Profile creation work failed everytime since IB iSER beta driver 1.8.3.0.

Various bugs were exist on iSER initiator and PFC option on drivers.

Don't use Mellanox HCA - especially iSER initiator alpha driver 1.0.0.1 - on VMware production environment!

Best Regard.

Jae-Hoon Choi