I bought two Mellanox Voltaire 4036 VLT-3011 switches from EBAY.
These seem both to have issues. I need help diagnosing and fixing these if possible.
I have serial console cable and it works with both units. I'm able to get to the
login prompts and see U-boot options and access U-boot boot menu,
But I can't get pass the login prompts in both units.
The OS versions are below:
1. 4036 Version 3.9.1 BUILD ID 985
2. 4036 Version 3.6.2 BUILD ID 872
1- The first (1) unit, does not let me log on as admin/123456 or root/br6000 or guest/voltaire
It accepts the admin and guest logons but immediately after login prompt it logs the user out,
and I do not get to the OS level at all.
I found during the boot process the following warnings:
Empty flash at 0x02eb8908 ends at 0x02eb9000:
Empty flash at 0x0613c8e8 ends at 0x0613d000
I get immediately the following warning:
ibwarn:  mad_rpc_open_port: can't open UMAD port ((null):0)
and user is logged out, and getty terminal is reset
Does this mean there is no OS on the flash as its empty and I can not login ??
Can this switch even be used as IB switch?
This unit lights up all the switch port leds and they are on all the time !!
2. The second (2) unit does not accept any admin/guest/root password and complains
about invalid login/password.
I have tried reset command from U-boot menu and also pressed the reset switch on the Voltaire 4036
for 30 seconds and the switches reboot but do not reset the password on this unit.
This unit does not light up the switch port leds. But they blink once during the reboot.
- Can I reset the password somehow on the 2) unit that I can not login into ?
- Can I reload OS on the 1) unit which complains about Empty Flash and I cant login as admin ?
- Can these switches be used as IB switches but without management features ?
- Can the SM tools spark etc. be used to reflash firmware remotely ?
and what can I do to gain access and start using the switches or are they dead bricks?
Also inbusiness might be interested to help
As there is U-boot, I've seen TFTP option and flash_NFS
- tftpboot- boot image via network using TFTP protocol
- Type run flash_nfs to mount root filesystem over NFS
Can I use above to load image via TFTP on U-Boot or flash_nfs for root filesystem ?
I haven't found any instructions or anyone succeeding in doing this. Can we try to work this out ?
I've read these:
Here somebody has tried TFTP / NFS but fails:
I've attached some logfiles from the terminal sessions from both units as well as the uboot prompt menu commands.
Thanks for any suggestions