10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2013 1:25 PM by gregworley

windows 8 pro

gregworley

The whitepaper, "Deploying Windows Server® 2012 with SMB Direct over

Mellanox InfiniBand End-to-End Interconnect Solutions"

describes a server that's windows 2012 and a client that's 2012.

Is it possible to use a windows 2012 server and a windows 8 pro client?

Thanks,

Greg

• Re: windows 8 pro

Yes, Both OS's have the RDMA and IB Support. - Update - Server 2012 supports RDMA with SMB Direct and Network Direct, the Windows 8 Client OS does support IB however.

gregworley

Following the directions from the whitepaper on a windows 8 Pro client, In powershell:

>PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-NetOffloadGlobalSetting | Select NetworkDirect

NetworkDirect

-------------

Disabled

How do I install Network Direct for Windows 8Pro?  is it possible?

Are you installing the current IB drivers for Windows 8/2012?  Those will update the firmware on the card, as well as give you the driver to support smb direct.  Also, this will only work on ConnectX 3 cards, the ConnectX 2 are not supported on Win 8/2012.

Get-SmbClientNetworkInterface should tell you if RSS & RDMA are available

gregworley

I've installed MLNX_VPI_WinOF-4_40_0_All_win8_x64

The cards are brand new, so they didn't update firmware during the install. 

The cards are ConnectX3 VPI.

I'm looking at:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh826128(v=wps.620).aspx

and it says that:

-NetworkDirect<EnabledDisabledEnum>

Modifies the Network Direct (RDMA) global state on the computer. This is a server only setting. The acceptable values for this parameter are:
                    -- Enabled: NetworkDirect is globally enabled.
                    -- Disabled: NetworkDirect is globally disabled.
                    The default value is Enabled.

what is Get-SmbClientNetworkInterface telling you, and you may want to try re-installing the drivers, but as Administrator, I have had issues with the latest installer not elevating, and not doing the firmware update.  I'll put a card in one of my Win 8 machines and validate this, I have been running this in Servers mostly.

gregworley

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>  Get-SmbClientNetworkInterface

Interface Index     RSS Capable         RDMA Capable        Speed               IpAddresses         Friendly

---------------     -----------         ------------        -----               -----------         ---------

20                  False               False               0  bps              {fe80::b942:5ced... Ethernet

16                  False               False               100 Kbps            {fe80::ffff:ffff... Local Are

13                  False               False               0  bps              {fe80::38af:caea... Ethernet

14                  False               False               0  bps              {fe80::5efe:192.... isatap.ho

19                  True                False               54 Gbps             {fe80::6576:b81a... Ethernet

15                  False               False               0  bps              {fe80::5efe:192.... isatap.{2

12                  True                False               1 Gbps              {fe80::b9b9:a296... Ethernet