59 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2014 4:25 AM by yairi

Mellanox (old Voltaire) ISR9024D-M recover flash area

inbusiness

I have 9024D-M, 4036 switches.

4036 works fine.

But 9024 have a problem some day before.

I connected console via serial cable.

But I can't access safe mode.

I'm also tried bootd, bootp via tftp protocol.

backup firmware display inflate fail message everytime boot process.

How can I reprogramming flash area?

How can I recover my main SM switch 9024D-M?

• Re: Mellanox (old Voltaire) ISR9024D-M recover flash area
          yairi

Hi inbusiness,

can you post here the text you see on your screen?

just connect console cable to your 9024D-M, power it up, let it boot until it stops, copy all the text and post here.

we'll try to help.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              inbusiness

Hi yairi!

Thank you for your reply.

I'll check it this weekend and reply on this thread...:)

Last post result is below and I was ask for help someday before

PPCBoot 1.1.6 (Nov 16 2004 - 08:21:51)

CPU: IBM PowerPC 440 Rev. C

Board: Artesyn Technologies PM/PPC-440gp

Artesyn Monitor Version 1.5.0

VCO: 800 MHz

CPU: 400 MHz

PLB: 133 MHz

OPB: 66 MHz

EPB: 66 MHz

I2C: ready

DRAM: ECC Init ................Done 512 MB

FLASH: 64 MB

Initializing board as Monarch....

No PCI Enumeration due to environment variable pci_enum override

In: serial

Out: serial

Err: serial

Net: EMAC0, EMAC1

BEDBUG:ready

=>

* At this step can't proceed anymore.....:(

**********************************************************************************

But I could not connect console anymore in weekend test....:(

If I can't connect console anymore then

can I remote In-Band firmware update via my another 4036 QDR switch?

I have also CX4 to QDR hybrid cable and my 4036 can find ISR9024D-M switch.

Best regard.

inbusiness

Hi!

Is there any good news.............

Below is current view on my another 4036.

2.JPG.jpg

There is a another question.

If I purchase another 9024D-M then can I update in-band firmware update with -lid number?

yairi

Hi,

one at a time

your 9024D-M - according to the printscreen you sent, it looks like the boot process is stopping somewhere at the very early stages.

when you get to the prompt => try to type the commands "boot" or "reset" and see what happens.

As for the 4036 switch: looks like it works.

you should be logging in as admin user (default password is 123456). check the version ("version show")

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          inbusiness

Thanks for reply...:)

My 4036 is works perfectly!

But 9024D-M wasn't also serial console, too.

My 4036 report to me that 9024D-M's firmware was corrupt!

I'll purchase another ISR9024D-M on eBay.

And I'll try update remote-firmware all command on Another 9024D-M.

(In-Band firmware update that descript on old manuals)

There is a final quiestion about my irresponsible 9024D-M.

If my 9024D-M switch is normal in hardware aspect then can I correct from another 9024D-M switch?

Thank you for your kind reply.......

I love Grid Vision interface on 9024D-M that support 4036.........

P.S

I'm also know that my 9024D-M wasn't reached Safe mode.

If I type 'reset' command then switch was reboot and stop in same stage everytime.

Perhaps U-Boot firmware and configuration(env) was corrupt via unknown problems...

yairi

Hi,

as for your 9024D-M - maybe the SW image is corrupted. still, you can use this switch as an externally managed one (run SM somewhere else) - the switch will still do the switching work fine. if you want to get another switch, that's fine too.

as for updating the FW remotely - not sure if you can do that. i think that the ASIC on those switches is write protected for FW writes from remote but give it a try.

inbusiness

Hi!

I was completed that can I using my corrupted 9024D-M like 9024D...

And I found attached document via Google....

This document said internally managed 9024 switch can update firmware remotely (in-band)

another All 9024 switch (including managed or not)...

Below is example on the firmware release example

I'll challenge......!

Thank you for your reply again!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remote In-Band firmware update description 01.JPG.jpgRemote In-Band firmware update description 02.JPG.jpg

inbusiness

Hi!

I'm also tried with WinMFT via spark.exe

Below is result

Spark-01.JPG.jpg

this picture shows to me that only all boot sections were normal.

Another command "spark -d lid-7 swreset" was executed perfectly!

Below is another simulation command result.

Spark-02.JPG.jpg

Burnning simulation test to Primary image was successfull!

But I2C read error was occured again...

another option is -pe_i2c (also -se_i2c).

How can I find Primary, Secondary I2C address?

Is it must connect with your I2C cable and module?

inbusiness

Hi~

I'm finding another ISR9024D-M on somewhere.

I'm also change to IB firmware working platform to CentOS.

After some work proceed some error was corrected and below is result.

2013-05-29 spark-v.JPG.jpg

Most big problem is can't access via console.

Is there any solution to INITIALIZE U-BOOT AREA?

inbusiness

I'm succeed In-Band Firmware update and my 4036 doesn't report firmware problem anymore.....

firmware 1.0.5 burnning succeed 01.JPG.jpg

firmware 1.0.5 burnning succeed 02.JPG.jpg

But console wasn't come back.

I think that there is a some of initial configuration was corrupted.

If I use mlxburn command ...

Is there any method use mlxburn command with ISR BOOT INITIAL CONFIG.INI ?

If that's true, can you send me a ISR9024D-M initializing configration file?

or Any method correct console configuration in EEPROM via IB In-Band connection?

• Re: Re: Mellanox (old Voltaire) ISR9024D-M recover flash area
                                                  justinclift

This is very interesting. 

I haven't picked up my switch yet, hopefully next week.

As a thought, with the Mellanox adapter cards it's possible to customise their behaviour when burning/creating firmware using flint.  So far, when I've been buying cards off of eBay I've been making a dump/backup of both the firmware that comes with each card and the options it was burned with.  (using the comand "mstflint -d [card address] dc > filename.fw")

I wonder if it's possible for you to remotely do something similar, to remotely dump firmware configuration for the 9024D-M switch?

If so, you might be able to get someone else here to dump theirs for a 9024D-M switch (with the console working), and compare the difference.   Then hopefully fix yours.

inbusiness

Hi!

I was test all command for my corrupted old InfiniScale III switch Voltaire ISR9024D-M.

Latest MFT 3.0 for Linux and Windows edition doesn't support it anymore.

And I was build old CentOS 5.2 (with OFED 2.0 - the last ibspark embedded edition) system for recover my switch.

I found very interesting point...

flint, mstflint support Infiniscale IV switch, HCA only.

InfiniScale III was not...

mlxburn was support ISR9024D-M.

But whenever if you excute the mlxburn command that call the spark or ibspark (with -inband)

spark command is last option for ISR9024D-M now!

Because of MFT 2.1 or above will running in safeburn mode only when burnning on blank EEPROM

or corrupted...)

That caused my choice.

I'm also purchased another ISR9024D-M for export the normal firmware with normal u-boot configuration

from it.

(include baudrate, mac address, etc...)

fortunately spark support ri command to export current image to local disk.

But can't support dc command like flint....

I'll overwrite on corrupted EEROM with normal exported img file with spark ~ bb command.

(block burn. that's all overwrite on EEPROM)

Next...

I'll reburn with variety switch combination for recover original sysguid, nodeguide, bsn.

If my old one hasn't hardware problem then I can recover it...

The last interesting thing is i2c port.

That's for FAE or advanced users only interface.

I'll be back again in near future...

Thank you for your reply.

inbusiness

Hi~ Yairi~

I think something about firmware update logic.

If firmware location address and boot up configuration (include console buadrate, etc) location address is different on EEPROM, What can I do?

Can I reconfigure boot up configuration in EEPROM?

yairi

Hi,

I am sure that it is doable but unfortunately i don't have access to such switch and these things aren't documented anywhere. it will take some common sense with zero documented knowledge to get done.

why do you want to change the baudrate, and other addresses anyhow?

inbusiness

Hi~!

I was found some cached information on my telnet application.

Because of some ppc-boot configuration was deleted and I can't access console.

(I was execute printenv command and result was cached on my telnet application)

I want correct the value and reset my switch to factory default.

I'm also purchased another switch.

I'll try recover old one next week.

justinclift

inbusiness - This URL might be useful (not sure).  It's the publicly published source repository for mstflint:

http://git.openfabrics.org/git?p=~orenk/mstflint.git

It uses git, and the git history in there goes back many years, through to January 2005.  It's unfortunate there aren't any tags in that repo (ie for each public release), but it could still be useful for working with older gear.

inbusiness

Thank you!

I was build a OFED 1.2 based firmware work system last week.

(OFED can update blank EEPROM. 1.2.1 and above can't via -nofs option... )

When you receive a 9024D-M, can you extract your rom image for me?

(Your firmware boot area have a correct console configuration, probably)

I think general update firmware does not have a console configuration.

It just update the EEPROM and recover current configuration parameters.

You can extrance current firmware via below command.

mst start

mst ib add

mst status -> You can find your 9024D-M's lid number (SW_MT23089_0008fxxxxxxxxxxx_lid-0x000x)

spark -d lid-0x000x q -> Query your switch's information

spark -d lid-0x000x v -> Query your switch's firmware information

spark -d lid-0x000x ri ./backup.img -> Backup your switch's firmware to local disk.

Have a nice day~

justinclift

Good timing, I was just doing this anyway.

Try this out:

ebay_voltaire_isr9024d-m_original-firmware.img

I used slightly different instructions to extract it:

# mst start

Starting MST (Mellanox Software Tools) driver set

Loading MST PCI module - Success

Loading MST PCI configuration module - Success

Create devices

# mst ib add --add-non-mlnx

-I- Discovering the fabric - Running: ibdiagnet -skip all

-I- Added 4 in-band devices

# mst status |grep SW_

/dev/mst/SW_MT23089_0008f10400412200_lid-0x0002

# spark -d /dev/mst/SW_MT23089_0008f10400412200_lid-0x0002 q

Query:

FW Version:            0.8.6

Node GUID:             0x0008f10400412200

System Image GUID:     0x0008f10400412201

Node Description:      ISR9024D-M Voltaire

Board Serial Number:   NO_BSN

PSID:                  VLT1110030900

# spark -d /dev/mst/SW_MT23089_0008f10400412200_lid-0x0002 v

Primary Image:

DEV OFFSET SIZE   TYPE       STATUS

56  000000 000028 PLL        OK

56  000028 003c40 BOOT       OK

56  003c68 0000c8 SPECIAL    OK

56  003d30 0003c4 IWI        OK

56  0040f4 000018 HBI        OK

56  00410c 000028 NBI        OK

56  004134 000028 NBI        OK

56  00415c 000020 NBI        OK

56  00417c 000020 NBI        OK

56  00419c 000f00 RMW        OK

56  00509c 000010 JUMP       OK

56  0050ac 01ab48 CODE       OK

57  00fbf4 00000c LAST       OK

Secondary Image:

DEV OFFSET SIZE   TYPE       STATUS

52  000000 000028 PLL        OK

52  000028 003c40 BOOT       OK

52  003c68 0000c8 SPECIAL    OK

52  003d30 0003c4 IWI        OK

52  0040f4 000018 HBI        OK

52  00410c 000028 NBI        OK

52  004134 000028 NBI        OK

52  00415c 000020 NBI        OK

52  00417c 000020 NBI        OK

52  00419c 000f00 RMW        OK

52  00509c 000010 JUMP       OK

52  0050ac 01ab48 CODE       OK

53  00fbf4 00000c LAST       OK

# spark -d /dev/mst/SW_MT23089_0008f10400412200_lid-0x0002 ri ebay_voltaire_isr9024d-m_original-firmware.img

- Reading primary image     -  OK

- Reading secondary image   -  OK

- Writing image file ...

Seems all good here.

(note - updated with reuploaded firmware (now with .img file extension))

justinclift

This might be helpful too.  It's the switch settings for the ISR9024D-M, as exported using the GridVision Device Manager GUI:

ebay_voltaire_isr9024d-m_original-repository.new

The settings were exported like this:

Screenshot of ISR9024 config backup/restore GUI dialog

justinclift

The firmware in the FTP location pointed out by yairi worked for me.

I just logged into the switch (via ethernet cable) using telnet on 192.168.1.2, admin/123456, did the "enable" (password "voltaire"), then did the upgrade:

ISR9024D-2200# update software /home/jc/9024D-M/

Getting files from remote server....

pImage.ibswlrm      100% |*****************************| 22087 KB    00:00 ETA

Image Name:  Linux Multiboot-Image 2.4.21-pmp

Created:      Mon Nov 10 09:03:12 2008

Image Type:  PowerPC Linux Multi-File Image (gzip compressed)

Data Size:    22617215 Bytes = 22087.12 kB = 21.57 MB

Load Address: 0x00000000

Entry Point:  0x00000000

Contents:

Image 0:  780745 Bytes =  762 kB = 0 MB

Image 1: 21836455 Bytes = 21324 kB = 20 MB

Erasing blocks: 173/173 (100%)

Writing data: 22087k/22087k (100%)

Verifying data: 22087k/22087k (100%)

Software upgrade completed

Upgrade flag turned on, repository merge will be performed on next reboot

ISR9024D-2200# Connection closed by foreign host.

That "/home/jc/9024D-M/" is the directory on my FTP server holding the software update file ("pImage.ibswlrm").

Then the switch automatically reset and came back about 2 minutes later.  Logging in again, it seems reasonably happy:

$ telnet 192.168.1.2

Trying 192.168.1.2...

Connected to 192.168.1.2.

Escape character is '^]'.

ISR9024D-2200 login: admin

Password:

Welcome to Voltaire Switch ISR9024D-2200

Welcome to initial switch configuration

-------------------------------------

Please change the default root password

Insert new (up to 8 characters) password: ******

Please retype new password: ******

OK

switch configuration done

The built-in test will start in 5 seconds - press enter to skip the tests

0

Checking for latest firmware revision...    done

ALERT: One of the switch ASIC is out of revision

Please refer to proper documentation for firmware upgrade procedure.

Checking internal low memory requirement...    done

Checking for degraded link width (1X)...    done

Checking the status of system processes...    done

Checking the HOQ Value...                       done

Checking for duplicate GUID (please wait)...    done

ISR9024D-2200> version show

ISR 9024 version: 5.1.1

date:    Nov 10 2008 10:57:18 AM

build Id:872

ISR9024D-2200>

I remember reading last night something about that ALERT message ("One of the switch ASIC is out of revision").  I think it can be ignored.  Though, I'll look into it later on, just to be sure.

Logging into the GridVision web UI on the switch, it has definitely changed, so that's a good sign.

From the nearby box with spark on it, I queried the firmware again, expecting that to be upgraded too.  It turns out that's not automaticly part of the software upgrade:

$ sudo spark -d /dev/mst/SW_MT23089_0008f10400412200_lid-0x0002 q

Query:

FW Version:            0.8.6

PSID:                  VLT1110030900

It turns out the software upgrade copies the newer firmware to the switch, but doesn't automatically burn it.  The "update firmware" command worked when run on the switch (via telnet):

# update firmware chassis

Local system <ISR9024 DDR (managed)>

Local System_GUID 0008f10400412201, Node_GUID 0008f10400412200

Upgrade firmware from 00.08.06 to 01.00.00

eburn: try to lock i2c semaphor.

eburn: lock of i2c semaphor succeed.

eburn: write protect open - succeed

eburn: open route to i2c device succeed

FirmwareImage   = firmware.ISR9024_DM.img

ImageFWVersion  = 01.00.00

ChipSystemGUID  = 0008f10400412201

ChipNodeGUID    = 0008f10400412200

ImagePSID       = VLT1110031011

ImageBoardType  = 111

ChipHWDEV       = 0x1a1

ChipFWVersion   = 00.08.06

ChipPSID        = VLT1110030900

ChipBoardType   = 111

Invalidate PBR...0x56

Verifying PBR...0x56 Valid

Verifying PBR...0x52 Valid

Burning ...

BURN - Verifying ...

VERIFY - 100%

Verifying PBR...0x56 Valid

Verifying PBR...0x52 Valid

eburn: write protect close

Firmware upgrade completed

Restart switch to apply new firmware

ISR9024D-2200# reload

Reboot the system? [yes|no] yes

ISR9024D-2200# Hangup

$ sudo spark -d /dev/mst/SW_MT23089_0008f10400412200_lid-0x0002 q

Query:

FW Version:            1.0.0

PSID:                  VLT1110031011

I think all that's needed now, is to manually update the software to version 1.5.

Hopefully some of this (long) post is useful.

inbusiness

I'm recerived another ISR9024D-M that works good...

At first I'm connect to corrupted 9024D-M to new one then run the command

update remote-command and finished successfully.

But console was not return.

There isn't update remote-software command.......

I'm find reason for console problem.

It's a cleard configuration and software on flash bank....

Below is normal printenv result via console

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In:serial

Out:   serial

Err:   serial

Net:   EMAC0, EMAC1

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0

=> printenv

loads_echo=1

serial#=9998

ecc=on

pci_enum=on

pci_listing=short

ethaddr=00.80.f9.69.23.26

eth1addr=00.80.f9.69.a3.26

gatewayip=0.0.0.0

bootfile=path/file.bin

baudrate=38400

filesize=235

netmask=255.255.0.0

ipaddr=192.168.1.2

serverip=192.168.1.100

loadaddr=800000

hostname=0.0.0.0

bootdelay=2

bootargs=console=ttyS0,38400 root=/dev/ram0 rw

addip=setenv bootargs $(bootargs) ip=$(ipaddr):::$(netmask):$(hostname):eth1:none

sec=echo booting secondary, press ^c to abort; sleep 5; echo booting...; bootm d0a00000

prim=echo booting prim...; bootm d3500000

bootcmd=run addip sec prim

stdin=serial

stdout=serial

stderr=serial

Environment size: 619/2556 bytes

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is last console log of corrupted 9024D-M

*****************************************************************************

=> printenv

baudrate=38400

filesize=235

addip=setenv bootargs $(bootargs) ip=$(ipaddr):::$(netmask):$(hostname):eth1:non

e

sec=echo booting secondary, press ^c to abort; sleep 5; echo booting...; bootm d0a00000

serial#=0

ecc=on

pci_enum=on

pci_listing=short

eth1addr=00.80.f9.69.17c.18

bootcmd=tftpboot;go

bootdelay=-1

loadaddr=80000

stdin=serial

stdout=serial

stderr=serial

Environment size: 451/2556 bytes

=> setenv baudrate=38400

=> setenv filesize=235

Unknown command 'setenv' - try 'help'

=> saveenv

Saving Enviroment to EEPROM...

=> setenv addip=setenv bootargs $(bootargs) ip=$(ipaddr):::$(netmask):$(hostname):eth1:non

=> e

Unknown command 'e' - try 'help'

=> setenv addip=setenv bootargs $(bootargs) ip=$(ipaddr):::$(netmask):$(hostname):eth1:non

=> saveenv

Saving Enviroment to EEPROM...

******************************************************************************

When switch was reboot then all was gone...

(If I run the initenv command before reboot the switch there is no problem exists...)

setenv usage is very confused to me.....

I find that => setenv baudrate=38400 command delete baudrate value.

Correct usage is setenv baudrate 38400.......

Also another value was deleted........

It's a correct that configuration is located on EEPROM.

But there is nothing to correct the problem on user level.

If you have a solution via normal switch or etc, can you explain to me?

If initial configuration on EEPROM recover then can I re-install SM software on NAND Flash again?

justinclift

What's the output from "help" by itself?

inbusiness

Below is the command lists on PPC-Boot mode (Not safe mode)...

PPCBoot 1.1.6 (Nov 16 2004 - 08:21:51)

CPU:   IBM PowerPC 440 Rev. C

Board: Artesyn Technologies PM/PPC-440gp

Artesyn Monitor Version 1.5.0

VCO: 800 MHz

CPU: 400 MHz

PLB: 133 MHz

OPB: 66 MHz

EPB: 66 MHz

I2C:   ready

DRAM:  ECC Init ................Done 512 MB

FLASH: 64 MB

Initializing board as Monarch....

Scanning for PCI devices....

Scanning PCI devices on bus 0

LOCALE  VEND DEV  REV  BASE1    BASE2    BASE3    BASE4    BASE5

------- ---- ---- --- -------- -------- -------- -------- -------- --------

00,0d,0 10b5 9056 ba  80000000 b0800000 80200000 80400000 ........ ........

In:    serial

Out:   serial

Err:   serial

Net:   EMAC0, EMAC1

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0

=> clear

Unknown command 'clear' - try 'help'

=> help

as      - assemble memory

autoscr - run script from memory

base    - print or set address offset

bdinfo  - print Board Info structure

bootelf - Boot from an ELF image in memory

bootm   - boot application image from memory

bootp   - boot image via network using BootP/TFTP protocol

bootvx  - Boot vxWorks from an ELF image

bootd   - boot default, i.e., run 'bootcmd'

break   - set or clear a breakpoint

cmp     - memory compare

coninfo - print console devices and informations

continue- continue from a breakpoint

cp      - memory copy

crc32   - checksum calculation

date    - get/set/reset date & time

dhcp    - invoke DHCP client to obtain IP/boot params

ds      - disassemble memory

echo    - echo args to console

erase   - erase FLASH memory

flinfo  - print FLASH memory information

getdcr  - Get an IBM PPC 4xx DCR's value

go      - start application at address 'addr'

help    - print online help

imd     - i2c memory display

imm     - i2c memory modify (auto-incrementing)

inm     - memory modify (constant address)

imw     - memory write (fill)

icrc32  - checksum calculation

iprobe  - probe to discover valid I2C chip addresses

iloop   - infinite loop on address range

isdram  - print SDRAM configuration information

iminfo  - print header information for application image

irqinfo - print information about IRQs

loadb   - load binary file over serial line (kermit mode)

loads   - load S-Record file over serial line

loop    - infinite loop on address range

md      - memory display

mm      - memory modify (auto-incrementing)

mtest   - simple RAM test

mw      - memory write (fill)

next    - single step execution, stepping over subroutines.

nm      - memory modify (constant address)

printenv- print environment variables

protect - enable or disable FLASH write protection

rarpboot- boot image via network using RARP/TFTP protocol

rdump   - Show registers.

reset   - Perform RESET of the CPU

run     - run commands in an environment variable

saveenv - save environment variables to persistent storage

setdcr  - Set an IBM PPC 4xx DCR's value

setenv  - set environment variables

sleep   - delay execution for some time

where   - Print the running stack.

step    - single step execution.

tftpboot- boot image via network using TFTP protocol

and env variables ipaddr and serverip

version - print monitor version

?       - alias for 'help'

pci_enum - Enumerates and displays PCI Bus Enumeration Info

pci_info - Displays PCI Bus Enumeration Info

prog_i2c - Programs default i2c bootstrap settings

moninit - Copies PPCBoot monitor into Soldered Flash

monship - Erases soldered flash, inits environment variables

initenv - Initializes Board Environment variables

um      - destructive memory test

=>

yairi

just out of curiasity, why are you looking to change the boudrate? what's wrong with the default?

inbusiness

I don't want to change boudrate to non default value 38400.

Recover the deleted boudrate to default value 38400 and another parameter value, too...

That's the last method to factory-default reset via console access.

Firmware was recovered but I don't know about change the boot parameter on EEPROM.

I was received another 9024D-M.

If recovering corrupted 9024D-M is possible then

I'll make a fail-over switch fabric to training my IB skills...

Do you have any information about reset to default parameter on EEPROM for PPC-Bootup?

justinclift

Hmmm, so it seems like "printenv" shows the environment variables, "setenv" is used for setting them, and "saveenv" (hopefully) saves them to flash.  It doesn't seem to list an explicit way to delete them, which might mean that "saveenv" with no value might do that.  Or using the "=" sign, as you mentioned in a post too.

If you create a brand new environment variable and save it, is it still there after you reboot the switch?  Also, how to embed spaces in the value?

Something like:

=> setenv mytestvarA 123

=> setenv mytestvarB '123'

=> setenv mytestvarC "123"

=> setenv mytestvarD "123 456"

=> saveenv

Then reboot the switch and see if any of the "mytestvar*" variables show up with printenv.

With the corrupted 9024D-M, I'm not sure which environment variables need to be set.  Experiment time.

(note - edited for typo fixes)

inbusiness

=> setenv baudrate=38400

=> saveenv

=> printenv

------> disappear baudrate=38400

* If you reboot switch via reset command you can't see any message....IOI

=> setenv baudrate 38400

=> saveenv

=> printenv

------> recover baudrate=38400

You can only edit the parameter list that show via printenv command.

justinclift

Ok. All that's left to do now is make the corrupted 9024D-M environment the same as the good one isn't it?

The "bootcmd" variable looks both different and important.  It uses spaces in the value, which may or may not need quoting. I have no idea, you'll need to find out?

inbusiness

You are correct....

But I don't have any idea what can I do...

This problem was originated my confused factory-default reset procedure.

I'll drop the corrupted 9024D-M except PSU, Fan modules.

I'll present newly arrive 9024D-M to my friend and some spare parts.

And I decide use QDR switched fabric only....

(Unfortunatly 4036 hasn't GUI and CLI command about IB partition, only have a export/import partition.conf ...)

I was thought that 9024D-M will be a Master SM of 4036 switch that have a GUI Grid Vision.

It's a true that 9024D-M can support SM off-mode QDR 4036 switch.

But 9024D-M was very difficult collect a information about it.

I'll move to another QDR or FDR switch.

Thank you for your advice.

(Especially Mr. Clift and Community support steps....)

Have a good day....

Below is my QDR fabric's performance sample.

1port_QDR_HCA_2_slot_test.JPG.jpg

justinclift

So this doesn't work?

=> setenv bootcmd "run addip sec prim"

=> saveenv

Oh well, at least we tried.  You helped me learn a lot in the process.  Thank you.

inbusiness

I can't access corrupted 9024D-M console...

Therefore I can input that commands....

If my threads help your work, that's my pleasure....

yairi

Hi Guys,

i don't know how but i got this procedure from some really dark area. i had to dust off few layers until i found this.

This procedure is good for cases where your switch OS is still functioning but the switch ASIC firmware itself got corrupted. for any other cases (e.g. you can't even access the switch b/c the OS is corrupted), don't wast your time.

And i am saying this upfront:     USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

This is an old procedure for recovery ISR9024D firmware from corrupted flash situation. Please read carefully and use technical and common sense :-)

let me start by showing the default env parameters for those of you who were looking to get things back to were they were originally:

=> printenv

loads_echo=1

baudrate=38400

filesize=235

addip=setenv bootargs $(bootargs) ip=$(ipaddr):::$(netmask):$(hostname):eth1:none

serial#=0

ecc=on

pci_enum=on

pci_listing=short

ethaddr=00.80.f9.69.fc.18

eth1addr=00.80.f9.69.17c.18

gatewayip=0.0.0.0

hostname=0.0.0.0

ipaddr=0.0.0.0

netmask=255.255.255.0

serverip=0.0.0.0

bootcmd=tftpboot;go

bootfile=path/file.bin

bootdelay=-1

loadaddr=80000

stdin=serial

stdout=serial

stderr=serial

Environment size: 602/2556 bytes

l

Next, the procedure itself:

if your switch is showing things like the following that procedure is the right for your situation. for other situations, use your own judgment:

Anafa not found

Start Firmware upgrade

\nError:  Firmware upgrade FAILED (retry 1)

\nError:  Firmware upgrade FAILED (retry 2)

\nError:  Firmware upgrade FAILED (retry 3)

Firmware upgrade failed, call support

From attempted logins:

ISR-9024 login: admin

Password:

connecting

connect: No such file or directory

connect: Illegal seek

ConnectToServer::ERROR:Server not responding

connect: No such file or directory

connect: Illegal seek

ConnectToServer::ERROR:Server not responding

To recover from this failure:

1)    We must retrieve the GUID from a sticker inside the 9024. We do not have a way to retrieve the GUID once the switch is in this state without reading the sticker.

a.    Disconnect power and open the cover. (three screws and the cover slides back)

b.    Look on the bottom of the sheet metal case. You will see a sticker with 2 serial numbers. The 16 digit numbers will start with 0008F1xxxxxxxxxx.

c.     Right down the number and put the cover back on the switch.

2)    Using a serial port connection to the 9024 login as root (default password is br6000)

3)    Assign an IP address to the eth1 interface:

a.    ifconfig eth1 10.0.2.170 netmask 255.255.255.0

4)    Download the recovery files attached with this procedure ("ISR9024-i2c-upgrade.tar.gz")

5)    Using FTP or WGET place the i2c-switch-burn.tar on the 9024

6)    Create a directory, (mkdir /temp) and expand the tar into it, (cd /temp ; tar -xvf ../i2c-switch-burn.tar)

7)    Make the files executable. (Chmod 777 /temp/*)

8)    Copy the files: eburn and i2c to /usr/Voltaire/bin. (cp eburn i2c /usr/voltaire/bin)

9)    Run gunzip against the firmware image.

gunzip   firmware.ISR9024_SM.img.gz

10) Run the script using the first number recorded from the sticker (sn#1)

./ibswlrm-fw-burn.sh 0008F1xxxxxxxxxx   0008F1xxxxxxxxxx   firmware.ISR9024_SM.img.gz

# ./ibswlrm-fw-burn.sh 0008F1040041082A 0008F1040041082A firmware.ISR9024_SM.iIg

FW_VER = 0.8.6

sysimage_GUID = 0008f1040041082a

Node_GUID = 0008f1040041082a

Burning ...

BURN -

100%

Verifying ...

VERIFY - 100%

11)  Power cycle the 9024 (mandatory)

May the force be with you..

inbusiness

This method isn't for me.

I was find your solution via googling in last month.

My corrupted 9024D-M don't show me a any message via serial console port....

(Console port and Ethernet port configuration was gone and there isn't any interface for user)

Therefore I can't input anything via console interface.

The last resort is i2c port with MTUSB-1.

But I don't have it and I'm not a FAE.

I have normal configuration, too.

Because I purchased another normal 9024D-M switch...

But your support is always good and kind....

Thank you...

justinclift

I noticed a JTAG connection on the boards inside the other day, when I was having a look around in my 9024D-M.

Back in Australia I had a JTAG - USB connector from when I was mucking around with Arduino stuff.  I'm kind of curious to see what can be done with it.  Maybe useful for setting values in stuff.

• Re: Re: Re: Mellanox (old Voltaire) ISR9024D-M recover flash area
                                                                                                    justinclift

inbusiness - Discovered something interesting.

I can log into my 9024D-M as root (not "admin") using telnet/ssh.  Default password is "123456", same as for the admin user.

It gives shell access (ash), instead of the limited menu for the admin user.

You might be able to do something useful with this.

$ ssh -l root 192.168.1.2

root@192.168.1.2's password: 123456

Welcome to Voltaire Switch ISR9024D-2200

BusyBox v0.60.5 (2008.02.25-06:43+0000) Built-in shell (ash)

Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

You have logged in with root access.

Operations available in this mode may affect the system normal

operation and should only be performed on Voltaire Support approval only.

# ls -al

drwxr-xr-x   14 root     root         1024 Jun 20 03:22 .

drwxr-xr-x   14 root     root         1024 Jun 20 03:22 ..

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Jun 20 03:22 .ssh -> /mnt/jffs/.ssh

drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root         2048 Feb 25  2008 bin

drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root         6144 Jun 20 03:22 dev

drwxr-xr-x    8 root     root         1024 Jun 20 03:22 etc

drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root         1024 Feb 25  2008 home

drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         2048 Feb 25  2008 lib

drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root         1024 Feb 25  2008 libexec

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           11 Feb 25  2008 linuxrc -> bin/busybox

drwx------    2 root     root        12288 Feb 25  2008 lost+found

drwxr-xr-x    5 root     root         1024 Jun 20 03:22 mnt

dr-xr-xr-x   65 root     root            0 Jan  1  1970 proc

drwx------    2 root     root         1024 Feb 25  2008 sbin

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           11 Jun 20 03:22 tmp -> /mnt/fs/tmp

drwxr-xr-x    8 root     root         1024 Nov 10  2008 usr

drwxr-xr-x    9 root     root         1024 Nov 10  2008 var

# cd /sbin

# ls -al

drwx------    2 root     root         1024 Feb 25  2008 .

drwxr-xr-x   14 root     root         1024 Jun 20 03:22 ..

-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     root        26708 Feb 25  2008 arp

-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     root        11580 Feb 25  2008 arping

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Feb 25  2008 freeramdisk -> ../bin/busybox

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 Feb 25  2008 getty -> ../bin/tinylogin

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Feb 25  2008 halt -> ../bin/busybox

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        10032 Feb 25  2008 hostname

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Feb 25  2008 ifconfig -> ../bin/busybox

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Feb 25  2008 init -> ../bin/busybox

-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     root       148188 Feb 25  2008 insmod

-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     root       136500 Feb 25  2008 ip

-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     root        22332 Feb 25  2008 klogd

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Feb 25  2008 loadkmap -> ../bin/busybox

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Feb 25  2008 logread -> ../bin/busybox

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Feb 25  2008 losetup -> ../bin/busybox

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Feb 25  2008 lsmod -> ../bin/busybox

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Feb 25  2008 makedevs -> ../bin/busybox

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Feb 25  2008 mkswap -> ../bin/busybox

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Feb 25  2008 modprobe -> ../bin/busybox

-r-xr-xr-x    1 root     root        96488 Feb 25  2008 pam_console_apply

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         8480 Feb 25  2008 pam_tally

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Feb 25  2008 poweroff -> ../bin/busybox

-r-sr-xr-x    1 root     root        16520 Feb 25  2008 pwdb_chkpwd

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Feb 25  2008 reboot -> ../bin/busybox

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Feb 25  2008 rmmod -> ../bin/busybox

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Feb 25  2008 route -> ../bin/busybox

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 Feb 25  2008 sulogin -> ../bin/tinylogin

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Feb 25  2008 swapoff -> ../bin/busybox

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Feb 25  2008 swapon -> ../bin/busybox

-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     root        29572 Feb 25  2008 syslogd

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       369236 Feb 25  2008 tcpdump

-r-sr-xr-x    1 root     root        18364 Feb 25  2008 unix_chkpwd

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Feb 25  2008 update -> ../bin/busybox

-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     root        67796 Feb 25  2008 visudo

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Feb 25  2008 watchdog -> ../bin/busybox

#

• Re: Re: Re: Mellanox (old Voltaire) ISR9024D-M recover flash area
                                                                                                        inbusiness

My corrupted 9024D-M can't access serial console AND ethernet, too.....

It doesn't response pinging to default ip address 192.168.1.2.

Telnet/SSH connect was, too.....

justinclift

Hmmm, have you done an nmap scan across all of the 192.168.0.0/16 subnet (on both eth and IB networks), just to see if it's using a different IP address or something?

inbusiness

Sure!

But deleted configuration include serial console baudrate and MAC address of MGMT ethernet port...........IOI

2013/6/25 justinclift <socialmedia@mellanox.com>

**

Mellanox Interconnect Community

<http://community.mellanox.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

reply from justinclift<http://community.mellanox.com/people/justinclift?et=watches.email.thread>in

InfiniBand/VPI Switch Systems - View the full discussion<http://community.mellanox.com/message/2057?et=watches.email.thread#2057>

justinclift

Did you ever find a way to read the existing EEPROM (not firmware) from a good 9024D-M?

Asking because I found this when logged into mine:

# pwd

/usr/mst/bin

# ls -la

drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root         1024 Nov 10  2008 .

drwxrwxr-x    3 root     root         1024 Nov 10  2008 ..

-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     root        76948 Nov 10  2008 eburn

-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     root        24673 Nov 10  2008 i2c

-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     root        17519 Nov 10  2008 mread

-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     root        25001 Nov 10  2008 mtserver

-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     root        17547 Nov 10  2008 mwrite

# ./eburn

EBURN - Command line EEPROM burning tool

Usage:

/usr/mst/bin/eburn <EEPROM_image_file> [options...]

Options:

-h                    - Print this message

-s                    - Silent mode - do not print progress

-v                    - Verify only, do not burn

-d <DEBUG_LEVEL>      - Debug level 0, 1, 2. Default is 0 (none)

-sysguid <SYS_GUID>   - Update system guid

-nodeguid <NODE_GUID> - Update node guid

-L                    - Lock i2c semaphor

-R                    - Route i2c open (used only for ISR9024 flavors)

-W                    - WriteProtect remove (used only for ISR9024-SM/DM)

-dev <DEV>            - Burn using dev

-lid <LID>            - Burn using lid

-self_burning         - Use this flag only for ISR9024 self burning

-LidA1                - Lid used for advanced test - this is must option

-ForceA1              - Halt advanced Test:

1) test - firmware higher than 1.0.0 could be burn only on A1 chip

2) check with vendorMAD the chip version , INI version, BoardType

That looks like it will burn an EEPROM image to a remote 9024D-M, in-band.  Which I think would solve your problem.

Now, if we can just get a working EEPROM file...

(yes, I am very persistent)

justinclift

I take this back.  With further investigation, the "eburn" command seems to write firmware images to an EEPROM.

So, it's the same thing we already know how to do.  Not much use.

inbusiness

I was also tried that in-band firmware burnning and eburn, too. eburn command possible  if you can login into your ISR9024 switch with root account. I think eburn is very helpful when if you failed firmware update and your switch can't boot up normally...:)

I was mentioned about MTUSB-1 i2c connection device can debug and update firmware and EEPROM, too.

But that's not a general user prupose device and firmware updating is very long time consuming operation that above 45 minutes...:(

Anyway whenever you tried help me, I appriciate for hour kinds and passions.

I pray you have a nice journey with infiniband.

See you again...

Thank you...:)

from my iPhone

2013. 6. 25. 16:49 justinclift <socialmedia@mellanox.com> 작성:

Mellanox Interconnect Community

reply from justinclift in InfiniBand/VPI Switch Systems - View the full discussion

I take this back.  With further investigation, the "eburn" command seems to write firmware images to an EEPROM.

So, it's the same thing we already know how to do.  Not much use.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Mellanox Interconnect Community

Start a new discussion in InfiniBand/VPI Switch Systems by email or at Mellanox Interconnect Community

Following Mellanox (old Voltaire) ISR9024D-M recover flash area in these streams: Inbox

pnot

I wish there was a 9024D FAQ out there with all the different tricks and commands you guys have been using.

Recently I purchased a 9024D (not the M ver) and through some commands I've found my firmware version:

>mlxburn -fwver -dev lid-2 -query

-I- FW Version: 1.0.5

Is that the most recent firmware and do I need to run a version of linux to burn the software properly.  I'm a little confused at all of the different methods being used over the course of reading 2 or 3 threads worth.

yairi

Yes, 1.0.5 is the most up2date firmware this product ever had.

as for documents, as a service to this dear group i packaged a bunch of documents for you guys.

keep in mind - this product was EOL'd long time ago. there is no official support for it. just a bunch of good people whiling to assist ;-)

checkout the following FTP account. you should find a ZIP file there. also, there are a few discussions on this site that can help you guys. just search the site for 9024

ftp server: ftp.support.mellanox.com

user: 9024-d

pass: 9024-d_eol

Good luck!