You know what..? throughout the few years of working with InfiniBand and HPC clusters, I had the oportunity to visit quite a few HPC clusters.
Usually it would be some university or other government application and sometimes it would be a commercial one.
Anywhere you can think of, somebody can find a good use for a supper computer. With some of the applications I've seen there were:
- Auto manufactures (for designing cars and car's pars. simulating this staff with real-life scenarios)
- Home Appliance (Really??)
- Oil and Gas search and analysis
- Food industry (ye!)
- Multimedia (yes, they make movies and music with that too!! )
- Auto racing (Few of the coolest teams you can think of has one! )
- Medical research
- Finance (high-speed algo-trading and analysis)
- Weather (and hurricanes) forecast.
I'm sure I left few behind.. there are so many of those out there.
Tell me about yours! interesting HPC applications you had or run into