This post describes how to manage the port type (InfiniBand or Ethernet) in Mellanox adapters when using Inbox drivers.
- ConnectX® Ethernet Driver for VMware® ESXi Server
- Mellanox OFED InfiniBand Driver for VMware® ESXi Server
- Mellanox Firmware Tools (MFT) Product Page
- Mellanox Firmware Tools (MFT) User Manual
- Using ESXi Shell in ESXi 5.x and 6.x (2004746)
Hardware and Software Requirements
1. A server platform with an adapter card based on one of the following Mellanox Technologies’ HCA devices:
2. Installer Privileges: The installation requires administrator privileges on the target machine.
3. Device ID: For the latest list of device IDs, please visit Mellanox website.
Port Type Management
Mellanox ConnectX®-4/ConnectX®-4 Lx/ConnectX®-5 adapter card may be equipped with one or two ports can be individually configured to work as InfiniBand or Ethernet ports.
The port type depends on the card type. In case of a VPI card, the default type is IB. If you wish to change the port type use the mlxconfig script, is included in Mellanox Firmware Tools(MFT).
For further information on how to install MFT please use following link - How To Install Mellanox Firmware Tools (MFT) on VMware ESXi 6.5/6.7
The protocol types are:
- Port Type 1 = IB
- Port Type 2 = Ethernet
To print the current status of Mellanox devices
1. Enable SSH Access to ESXi server.
2. Log into ESXi vSphere Command-Line Interface with root permissions.
3. Run the following command:
To use a VPI card as an Ethernet only card,
1. Enter Maintenance Mode the ESXi host.
2. And run:
~ /opt/mellanox/bin/mlxconfig -d /dev/mt4121_pciconf0 set LINK_TYPE_P1=2 LINK_TYPE_P2=2
3. Restart a server.
4. Exit from Maintenance Mode the ESXi host.
For more information on how to set the port type in ConnectX®-4/ConnectX®-4 Lx/ConnectX®-5, please refer to the MFT User Manual (Mellanox Firmware Tools (MFT) Product Page).