This post shows how to enable SNMP Server (snmpd) on Linux servers.
All Linux distributions arrives with net-snmp in-box.
Edit the file in /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf as follows:
1. Make sure the MIBs are open, for example:
- Open specific MIBs only:
# system + hrSystem groups only
view systemonly included .126.96.36.199.2.1.1
view systemonly included .188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206
- Give Full access to specific host:
# Full access from the local host
rocommunity public localhost
rocommunity public 10.137.210.1
- Give Full access to a range or hosts using the community string "secret"
#rocommunity secret 10.0.0.0/16
2. (Optional) edit system information such as:
3. Refer to snmpd.conf Linux man page for more advance configuration options
4. Restart the server
In most Linux versions the command will be:
# service snmpd restart