This post shows two ways to upgrade Mellanox switches (managed switches - with CPU), via the CLI or via the web GUI.
Note: upgrade procedure for InfiniBand switches without CPU is out of scope of this post, refer to the MFT user manual.
The post is simple and meant for beginners.
- MLNX-OS User Manual
MLNX-OS software package includes the CPU software per the specific CPU on the switch board (x86 or PPC) and in addition the switch firmware.
There is no need to install specifically the firmware, as it is correlated with the CPU software. Once you upgrade the software, the firmware will be upgraded as well.
The MLNX-OS Image and related documentation (Release Notes, User Manual) are located in myMellanox.
Upgrade the switch via the CLI
The following Academy videos explains about the Switch upgrade via CLI:
To upgrade the MLNX-OS perform the following commands:
1. Remote connect to the switch via SSH:
#ssh admin@my-switch-name (e.g. ssh email@example.com)
2. Enter config mode
switch# configure terminal
3. Run the following commands to upgrade (e.g. upgrade to 3.4.2002 release)
switch (config)#image delete XXX // --> delete old images, if exist
switch (config)#image fetch scp://root:password@server/path-to-image/image-X86_64-3.4.2002.img
switch (config)#image install image-X86_64-3.4.2002.img
switch (config)#image boot next
switch (config)#configuration write
4. Wait a few minutes and then try and connect again to the system.
5. Verify that the installation succeeded. Run the command:
# show version
Product name: MLNX-OS
Product release: 3.4.2002
Build ID: #1-dev
Build date: 2015-07-30 20:13:19
Target arch: x86_64
Target hw: x86_64
Built by: jenkins@fit74
Version summary: X86_64 3.4.2002 2015-07-30 20:13:19 x86_64
Product model: x86
Host ID: E41D2D5FA480
System serial num: Defined in system VPD
System UUID: 03000200-0400-0500-0006-000700080009
Uptime: 1d 3h 53m 11.288s
CPU load averages: 1.03 / 1.03 / 1.05
Number of CPUs: 2
System memory: 1233 MB used / 2666 MB free / 3899 MB total
Swap: 0 MB used / 0 MB free / 0 MB total
6. Check the switch firmware version
# show asic-version
Module Device Version
MGMT SX 9.3.5080
Upgrade the switch via the web GUI
The following Academy videos explains about the Switch upgrade via WebUI:
Another option is to upgrade the switch via the web GUI.
1. After login (use the management IP on the browser), click on Systems-> MLNX-OS Upgrade.
2. Click to the desired way of upgrade, in this screenshot I used the "Install from local" option.
3. Browse to the image location and click on "Install Image".